NEWCASTLE, England – The family of a teenage girl who died in a spa at a children’s spa in Newcastle are describing their ordeal, which involved a visit to a paediatrician who said she was suffering from autism.
The teenager was born in the UK, and lived in Australia before moving to New Zealand in 2017.
Her parents, both British, had bought a spa in the city of Newcastle in 2018, and a doctor at the clinic said she had autism.
She was initially put on a strict diet, and at the end of her stay at the spa she had to be hospitalised with dehydration.
It is understood she was in her early 20s at the time of her death.
An inquest into the teenager’s death has been told the medical staff and staff at the children’s resort at the age of 18 were overwhelmed by the patient’s symptoms.
A spokesperson for the New Zealand Government said a full investigation was underway and an inquest would be held on Monday.
“The New Zealand Public Health Authority will be carrying out a thorough review of the spa and the family will be informed of the outcome,” the spokesperson said.
After the woman died, her family went to the clinic where she was admitted.
They said the clinic was overwhelmed with the amount of people who came to see her.
She was transferred to a nursing home in New Zealand and died there.
‘Stunning’ experienceA family member of the young woman who died at a New Zealand children’s beach resort said she “wasn’t scared at all”.
“We were told we were in heaven and it was a special place, and we could walk around and do whatever we wanted,” the woman told The Sunday Telegraph.
I was in heaven, she told The Daily Telegraph.
She said she felt like a “real star”, but she had difficulty talking to people.
One family member said it was an “unbelievable” experience.
“I was sitting at the beach when it happened, and I was crying and I didn’t know what to do.
I was just so, so scared,” the mother told The Telegraph.
The woman who was on a diet and who was given injections at the hospital said she has autism.
Her mother said her daughter was given a diet of “chunky” foods and was told she was “a bit nutty”.
She said her family would not have wanted to leave their daughter at a “stunning” spa experience.
Newcastle resident David Pinder, who lives nearby, told the Sunday Telegraph he had “never seen anything like it” before.
He said it had been “absolutely incredible”.
The woman’s father, who had never heard of autism, said he had not seen anything that was “so stunning”.
“I have never seen a child in my life come out of a hospital bed with autism,” he said.
He said the family would have been “quite shocked” if their daughter had died.
In a statement, the New York State Department of Health said it could not comment on the ongoing investigation.